Saturday, December 12, 2009

Kitchen Garden Training #2 and a Wedding!

Yesterday was quite an eventful day. We had another kitchen garden training in Likoni and then I rushed to the north coast to attend the wedding of one of my host sister's brothers (he doesn't live with us so I'm not sure if I can technically call him my "host brother").
The training went relatively smoothly, although we started late...but I'm realizing that that is kind of a given here. We had a lot more participants than the first training, which was really great. In total we had 13 participants, all of whom were women (we need to work on getting more men in the trainings). Once again, I was struck by how kind, welcoming and open the women were to me and the other facilitators. All in all, I think it was a really rewarding experience for everyone involved. The participants expressed their deepest thanks to us for giving them the knowledge and skills to make a kitchen garden and start their own business. They were very optimistic about the impact these skills will have on their lives. One of the participants from the first training came, Mary, because she was providing us with soil and manure again for the demonstration. She and I spoke for a while and she told me that her kitchen garden was really doing well and that she was so grateful to me and the other facilitators for helping her overcome the challenges she has faced in adhering to her ARV regimen. It was SO rewarding and touching for me to hear that I had helped t0 empower these women to lead a positive lifestyle. I got really sad when I realized I will be leaving next week and won't be working with this community anymore. However, I will hopefully be able to work with similar communities in the future. This experience has really solidified my interest in working with communities in need and giving them the skills and knowledge to improve their lives (whether it be monetarily or in terms of health).

The wedding was very beautiful and provided some interesting cultural insights for me. It was at the Voyager resort (a VERY swanky resort on the north coast). The venue was on an outside terrace overlooking the indian ocean. I think the most "interesting" part of the whole event was the sermon given by an evangelist pastor. The main point to this sermon was how "it is the duty of the wife to submit to the husband." He literally talked about this for a good 10 minutes. I was just sitting there trying SO hard not to open my mouth in shock. Even more surprising was that the audience (including women) were all nodding their heads and saying "amen." All I could think was "how is women's rights in this country going to progress when female submission to men is embedded in the culture and the religion and the women themselves accept it?!" It was definitely a shocking and eye opening experience. Other than that, the wedding was pretty normal (except for a handful of mzungus-white tourists- who walked into the wedding to take pictures of the "Africans getting married." One guy was sitting on his balcony with a huge camera taking pictures. I was SO mortified and embarrassed for them..how rude!!!!). There were some traditions which were carried out. The bride and groom fed their in-laws cake (they cut the cake before dinner here), and Mama Irene gave them two ropes to represent the two cows she bought for them, which are currently in Kisii (up country).
All in all, it was a really fun and great wedding, with some interesting cultural insights. I felt so honored that they included me in the celebration (and even the family photo!). I'm really going to miss the Gitaas so much when I come home. But thankfully there is internet so i can still keep in touch.

Well, I best be off. I hope everyone is well!! Can't wait to see you all SO SOON!!!!!!
oxoxoxo Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment