Sunday, October 11, 2009

Katika Mombasa...

So I am at the end of the first weekend I've spent in Mombasa. It was VERY fun. I was able to walk around my neighborhood, Mikindani, with my host sister yesterday and she showed me how to get to work. It's not that far at all. My neighborhood is very nice. It is kind of the "suburbs" of Mombasa. It takes me 20-30 minutes, by matatu, to get to town...but it really seems so much farther away because it is SO different. Mikindani is mainly residential, with small shops along the road. It is more like a small town. Mombasa is so big and very crowded all the time and is definitely a "city."
I feel so lucky to have such a great family. Everyone in my house, mama Irene, baba Irene and Gardener, (in Swahili culture, young people call the elders by "mama/baba" and the first name of their child...usually first born daughter/son...but I call them mama/baba Irene because I know Irene and not their first borns) are all very welcoming and kind (I think I said this in the earlier post, but it definitely needs repeating..because it is SO true). I already feel really at home here.
Last night Irene and her friends took me clubbing. Irene and I caught a matatu into town and met her friends at a club called Club Rio. Then, after a drink or so, one of their friends gave us a ride to a club on the North Coast called Tembo. It was VERY nice. It was also very touristy and we met some guys from the Dutch Navy (which was random). Then we took another matatu to go to this local hang out place called Bob's. It's a pub located in front of a large parking lot, and they just turn the parking lot into a huge party. SO many people and kinda overwhelming. By that point, (3:30) I was getting VERY sleepy and really wanted to go home. Irene was shocked that I was so tired because in Mombasa, when people go out they stay out until 5am or so. Ah! I'm going to have to adjust to that :)
Today was also an AMAZING day. I woke up at 9:30 or so and had a leisurely morning until around 11am, when I took the matatu (by myself!!) into town. I hadn't taken a matatu on my own yet so I was very proud of myself when I made it to town safely. AND I didn't get ripped off!!! A major feat. I really didn't even have to bargain that much. I've noticed it helps when I try to speak in swahili to them.
I ran a few errands in town and then met up with the other interns and took the ferry to Likoni (South Coast) to go to a beach (Shelly Beach). We met Amanda there (she lives in Likoni) and took some piki-pikis (motorbikes) to the beach. OH MY GOD!!! It was the most beautiful beach I've ever been to! The sand was perfectly white and soft and the water was a clear light blue color. It was VERY shallow water (like up to your ankles) for probably a mile or so and then the waves started breaking. But there were little natural pools scattered throughout and we just swam in those. It was so picturesque, and SUCH a different feel from Mombasa city and Mikindani. I think it's funny how whenever I travel to a different part of the Mombasa area, I feel as if I'm in a completely different place entirely.
But yes, a very good weekend indeed. I hope everyone is doing well! My thoughts are with you all...and I get to look at most of your lovely faces every day because I taped my pictures from home above my desk.

Well, I'm going to start studying my Swahili and then go to bed. Kwaheri!! oxoxox

P.S. I've been meaning to send postcards to everyone but honestly, there are ZERO postcards in Mombasa. It is very strange considering it's supposedly a "tourist destination." The only postcards I've seen are cheesy ones of Lions and their cubs. I'm holding out until I can find actual Mombasa postcards. Just Fyi.

2 comments:

  1. I want a Postcard! Preferably a cheesy one of a Lion and her cubs or Hello Kitty whatever.
    We're very proud of you Anna.
    Kwaheri, Uncle John

    ReplyDelete