Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hello everyone! I'm done with the first week of work. I have already learned a lot about how Hope World Wide works, but I'm looking forward to actually making a tangible contribution. We had the forum with a group of people living with HIV/AIDS yesterday. I was looking so forward to it, and it was interesting, but I didn't really understand anything anyone was saying because it was all in Swahili. I could follow a little bit, based on the limited vocabulary I know, but most of the things they said went over my head. I look forward to having a meeting with my supervisor..in English..to learn what the people had to say about their experiences living with HIV/AIDS and taking ARVs. After the forum was over, I went to a local pub in Likoni where my supervisor was holding an information session with commercial sex workers. The day was very interesting, but I felt SO out of place because everything was in Swahili and everyone called me "mzungu" even though I was introduced to them. I know mzungu is not a derogatory name here, but it just doesn't make me feel very welcome. I also feel pretty unwelcome and out of place when most people who talk about me laugh at me. I'm sure it's not intended to make me feel unwelcome but it certainly has that effect.
I think yesterday was the first day that I really felt some intense culture shock. It may have been because I stayed up until 5am with my friends and my host sister. But I felt exceptionally sensitive towards the difference of life here. I just was really longing to hear english and see some familiar faces, and be back home where everything is just so much more calm, quiet and comfortable. I soon got over it, but it was definitely interesting for me to notice.

Well, I hope you all are doing well. I miss you all so much and I hope to hear updates of your lives soon!!
oxoxo Anna

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a rough day or two. Don't stay up so late. 5AM?! You gotta get your game on.

    ReplyDelete